Clip the weather section from your local English language newspaper and use the following exercises.
Exercise 1. Using the weather information provided, work with a partner and choose five U.S. cities.
Write the highest and lowest temperatures for today and Wednesday in the chart below.
temperature today temperature Wednesday
U.S. cities highest lowest highest lowest
Exercise 2. Role-play the following situation.
You have just picked up a friend form the airport. The friend is from one of the cities listed in the
weather chart. Ask about the weather conditions in the city where he/she is from. Some information you may want to ask about are:
How cold/hot was it yesterday? Was it raining or snowing? What is the forecast for tomorrow/next week?
S1: How was the weather in Boston today?
S2: It was raining.
S1: What's the weather forecast for tomorrow?
S1: It's supposed to rain tomorrow also.
Exercise 3. Answer the following questions using (name of your locale newspaper) weather information.
1. What is wind chill?
2. What was the temperature in at 8a.m. with the wind blowing? At 4p.m.?
3. What days should you carry an umbrella?
4. What will the weather be like on Sunday?
5. What was the high temperature today?
Exercise 4. Answer the following questions using information from The World section.
1. What were the hi/lo temperatures in Tokyo, Japan today?
2. What was the high temperature in Cairo, Egypt Wednesday?
3. What were the weather conditions in London, England today and Wednesday?