The vocabulary words in this list will help you order food in a restaurant.
Practice using this vocabulary list by practicing these restaurant dialogs.
If you would like to hear this words pronounced, use this link.
- Good evening ... A formal greeting generally used after 6pm.
- recommend ...To give advice that will help a person make a choice
- appetizer...That part of the meal that is served before the salad or the main course.
- escargot...An appetizer of snails which have been baked inside a pastry.
- tender...easily chewed and digested
- marinate...to let food soak in a substance for a certain amount of time so the food
will absorb some of the flavor of that substance.
- overnight...for or during the entire night
- half an order...A partial amount of a whole order. If an order of
Escargot is 6 snails, half an order would be 3.
- entre...the main course of a meal
- wonderful...excellent or great, better than just good
- mood...A person's emotional state or feeling.
- soup de jour...soup of the day, the type of soup being served on a particular day
- baked...cooked in an oven
- filet mignon...a type of beef steak, generally considered one of the best steaks served in
- charbroiled...cooked on open flames
- prepare...to make, to cook
- medium...Steaks are prepared according to temperature.
A steak that is medium rare is not cooked all the way through.
The center is still red and cooler than the outside of the steak.
- dressing...a type of sauce put on salads for flavoring
- dinner...evening meal, generally eaten around 6:30pm
- server...waiter or waitress
- Margarita...an alcoholic beverage made with tequila and sweet and sour mix
- on the rocks...served over ice
- combo plate...a plate of several types of food
- start off with...to have before the meal, to begin with
- appetizer...that part of the meal that is served before the salad or the main course.
- substitute...to have something in stead of what is offered
Print this list
Use the code below to link to this page.